Friday, October 13, 2006

In case you missed it....



A while back I was contacted by a director looking for some nice pitch boards. I was recommended by one of my favorites, Jon Liebesman (Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, Rings) so I went to check out this director, Josh Finn. I was amazed with what I saw. Back in 2004 he made an award-winning short film entitled "Time Enough at Last" and after watching the trailer I knew I needed to see more, and knew I really wanted to work with him. Unfortunately, my schedule has been more than hectic, and way beyond full, so I has to pass on it. A bummer because his ideas for what make interesting films are right up there with my own. So we made plans to stay in touch and Josh sent me a copy of the short. I've just watched it a second time, and feel compelled to introduce it to anyone who may have missed it.
"Time Enough at Last" is great, smart sci-fi. A stylish examination of a man confronting the legacy left by his father- a man whose passions were fed by the supernatural. A world of words, a world of mind, not a family. It's a dark twist on a lingering resentment, emotional abandonment, and the Twilight Zone. Just plain good.
Now the DVD is not really commercially available, but if you go here:
http://www.time-enough.com/home.html you can request a copy. So get out there and see it. It's such a skillful use of the short film as an economic means of storytelling. I've been watching the first seasons of Amazing Stories and Masters of Horror and I've become much more appreciative of television as anthology storytelling. Where the overall show is thematic rather than an episodic mythos......we don't really have that right now. Perhaps we should.

watching: Dr. Tran
listening to: Gratitude

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home